Evaluation

Evaluation of Final performance

I performed my final production on Tuesday the 13th of May 2019.
I felt proud of the work I produced on my own and grateful of those fellow actors that agreed to help me in my aim of telling a compelling story. Without the help of Abdul and Jeremy my performance wouldn't of met the heights I hoped and planned for but luckily I had their god given help which propelled my performance to be a great one. Despite their being previous complication with the tech in my piece I was little worried during the performance that my tech wouldn't be at the level I imagined but everything went as rehearsed and how I imagined it  apart from the car crash scene at the beggining where the crash sound effect wasn't as loud as it was  supposed to be, however Jeremy and I carried and used are facial expression and body language to show something traumatic has happened. Apart from that the tech thought the play was amazing and how i imagined it , meaning  the tech department did an outstanding job and without them my performance would not have been eye grabbing and captivating. After re - watching my performance I don't see anything that we could really improve on. I felt  all my objectives were met especially with the aid of the tech which helped in highlighting key themes like racial Issues , white supremacy and interracial relationships. These themes were highlighted by the specific dialogue with the aid of the specific lighting used for those particular scenes. For example the scene where I lashed out saying racial slurs had a red lighting effect connoting the pure hatred  whites had against blacks at the time. I also showed in the scene where I multi rolled being Calegeros friends in the car where they were planning to attack a black community I highlighted the theme of white supremacy by the lighting being a blue cold LED white light shining where the car and I was set up. This was also an intertextual reference , referring too the 1961 incident where the KKK a hate group preaching ideas of white supremacy,  firebombed a bus full of protestors , who peacefully protested against segregation but were faced by a horrific fate.

I also felt that with the help of my  classmates who were a major part of my production, aided me in being able  to highlight those themes and show the gravity of the historical context and intensify Calegero trauma by constancy building up tension and releasing it with unexpected sound effects or outburst of hysterical emotions. For example the theme of interracial relationships where I show my curiosity of wanting to be in love with a black woman but the overall gravity of that being a reality for the character is met with the harsh historical context scene in the next scene where the dialogue even explains how thats a “No, no in (His)my neighbourhood” to be with a black woman. This successfully contrast with the next scene where I scream out racial slurs with an outburst of hysterical emotion and aggressive dialogue aided by the red lighting connoting the hatred and violence that would be committed towards black people in Calegeros neighbourhood.

 The audience seemed gripped to their seats and captivated by the roller coaster of a story. I felt our delivery was on point always as well as our vocal projection . If there was one thing I could have changed about the performance it wouldve been the car crash scene at the beginning which should've been more dramatic. The sound effects should’ve been loudetrand my body language solve shown more sudden trauma  maybe shaking hands and fingers instead of being frozen still despite facial expressions  being on point as showed being in shock. If we were given more time to do more  tech rehearsals it would of increased chances to be more impactful.


The performance can be watched here; https://youtu.be/ewqK_lGEnnk 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research

Planning and Production